Sands Hotel Access Statement
Our statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Here at Sands Hotel directly on Margate’s Seafront we treat all of our guests as individuals, providing a range of facilities catering for all your needs. Two entrances are both available for all customers. Marine Drive is a level entrance and our High Street entrance on a steep hill with straight access to our restaurant and bar. Our bathroom facilities are located on the ground floor via are lift, level with Marine Drive. We have twenty hotel bedrooms all available via our stairs with eighteen of them accessible by our lift. Ten of our twenty rooms can also be made into twin beds, also six which contain double sofa pull out beds if required.
Enquiries & Reservations
Sands Hotel has one adapted town view bedroom which is available for wheelchair users. This room provides a spacious wet room with a shower seat and portable shower hose. In the bedroom we provide adjustable wardrobe rails and slidable wardrobe doors.
- All bedrooms have both shower and a bath. Two of our Townview showers are situated over the bath.
- Bedrooms with Shower and separate bath: x17
- 1 Inch step into shower
- Bedrooms with shower over the bath: x2
- Accessible bedroom with wet room: x1
- For directions on how to reach us, please click here or call us on 01843-228228
Our nearest train station
Accessible Taxi service
- Central cars: 01843-888888
- Operated by Stagecoach providing use of low floor ‘Easy Access’, wheelchair accessible. Please contact for more details: 08712002233 or www.stagecoachbus.com/eastkent
- Disability helpdesk number: 0845 600 2299
First choice mobility
- 131 Canterbury Road, Westbrook, Margate, Kent CT9 5BD. Tel: 01843 292136 Web: www.1stchoicemobility.co.uk
If you would like a larger scale document of either your confirmation or example menus prior to your arrival please contact Reception on:
Tel: 01843-228228 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The street we are on is fully paved and wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs.
- The access system is available in larger print on request
Car parking and arrival
Number of disabled spaces available located around Sands Hotel are as follows;
- Marine Drive: x1
- Market Street: x2
- We recommend to park outside either entrance of the hotel to drop luggage off and for any assistance. If you do not require a disabled bay we can provide car parking permits for designated spaces on Marine Drive which we have two of. Alternatively permits are also available for Market Street car park. We highly recommend to confirm when booking that a parking permit is required for it to be available upon arrival.
- Distance to the front door: 10-300m
- Surface from car park to front door: Pavement and tarmac
- Door opening width: 0.77m
Our entrance to Sands is all step free and reception is located only steps away from the main doors with smooth floor surface. Seating is available as soon as you enter, with a staff member available for any help required.
Available upon welcome:
- Wheelchair slippers
- Hearing Loop
- Pen and Paper
- Show around by staff member
Our guest rooms are accessible via our stairs with a hand rail available on one side. The lift goes to all levels except the roof terrace and Undercroft bedrooms. Our Townview accessible king size double bedroom consists of an entrance measuring 950mm in width, which will prevent access for large wheelchair users and mobility scooters. The bed measures 580mm from the top of the mattress to the bottom of the bed. Wardrobe rails are adjustable in this bedroom with two different height brackets. Furniture on request can be removed and subtitles are an option on the televisions in all rooms.
We do offer a discounted rate for a person’s carer if an additional room is required. We have available a device which connects to the bedroom phone and provides our customers with a mobile cord. This will directly call the reception in an emergency for assistance. The space between the bathroom entrance to the nearest wall measures at 150mm which may possibly restrict some wheelchair users. The wet room provides easy leaver taps in bathroom. Anti-slip floors and smooth – Lower hook in bathroom.
- Twin bedded bedrooms: 10
- Sofa double bedded rooms: 6
- Height of the WC from the floor to seat: 480mm
- Height of the basin: 650mm
- Car Dimensions: 1100(w) x 1400(d) x 2200(h)
- Door Size: 800(w) x 2000(h)
The reception area flat and a smooth surface throughout. All the corridors have parquet flooring with some short pile carpet outside the main doors to the rooms. The stairs are wooden and each floor is only accessible using a valid key entry card.
Access to the Bar l is via the hotel main reception. The flooring is a mixture of wooden flooring, tile and short pile carpet. Lighting is a mixture of natural daylight with overhead and wall lighting.
- Horizontal rail on the rear of the door
- Clear floor space, even surface 1200mm by 1200mm
- Emergency pull cord available
- Lever taps
- Left hand transfer Y to toilets
- 760mm space around the WC
- Horizontal on either side of WC
- Well light area
- Door clear opening of public WC 860mm
- Step free dining room, Smooth surface
- Space between function room and chairs available with arms
- Table service available
- Large print menu
Steps to roof terrace, not accessible via our lift. Not suitable for wheelchair users. Seating available, and surface clear/smooth. Alternatively there is terrace facilities in our Bay restaurant, available for wheelchair users.
In order to safely evacuate, we will need to conduct a personal emergency evacuation plan on arrival to understand your specific requirements. Should evacuation be necessary, our alarm will sound continuously.
Facilities available for guide dogs upon request.
Power available for battery power wheelchairs and mobility scooters.
Doctors: The limes medical centre, trinity square 01843 222788
Hospitals: Queen Elizabeth the queen mother (QEQM) 01843 225544
We provide wifi internet throughout the hotel, free of charge. This is accessible 24/7.
Accessible local attractions
Contact Number: 01843 233000
Address: Rendezvous, Margate, Kent CT9 1HG
Contact Number: 01843 295887
Address: Marine Terrace, Margate, Kent CT9 1XJ
Beach within reach (beach wheelchair)
Contact Number: 07432648275
Powell Cotton Museum:
Contact Number: 01843 842168
Address: Quex Park, Park Lane, Birchington, Kent CT7 OBH
Hornby Visitor Centre:
Contact Number: 01843 233500
Address: Margate, Kent, CT9 4JX
Spitfire and hurricane museum:
Contact Number: 01843 821940
Address: The Airfield, Manston Road, Ramsgate, Kent CT12 5DF
Has an enlargement button on home page A A A